That's It, I Quit

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Joseppi
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

That's It, I Quit

Unread postby Joseppi » 25 Sep 2009 20:31

Smoking

I started smoking in September of 2004. Exactly five years ago. Well, I decided to quit. I told my grandpa that I was going to finally quit smoking on his 80th birthday. Well, today is his birthday. I haven't had a cigarette in 2 days. It is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I'd love nothing more than to sit out on the porch enjoying a nice cigarette.

But I'm not going to do it! I went 20 years without smoking, and I can't conquer a five year habit. And yes, a lot of it is the habit. I realized that if I do the motions of smoking, (smoking an imaginary cigarette) I feel a little relief. It's nothing like the orgasmic head buzz I'd receive from a real nicotine-filled death stick. But it's better than nothing. Which ironically is exactly what it is.

I just hope I can pull this off for good. NO, I'm determined to! I'm tired of people treating me like I have Leprosy, being looked down upon like a burden to society, and staining my teeth which are already ugly enough. I am done!

I know that I can't pick up another cigarette EVER AGAIN! If I do, I'll just be one of those smokers who use to be an ex smoker who use to be a smoker. I will always crave cigarettes from here on out. But if I smoke just one, I will fall off the wagon. I refuse to do that!

What is the hardest habit you've ever had to break?

Zach
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: That's It, I Quit

Unread postby Zach » 25 Sep 2009 21:22

Good for you! I hope you will keep this high level of dedication to the cause. Remember that many addictions (cigarettes being a heavy hitter) are primarily two-fold: psychological and physical. Your body will crave the nicotine (as well as some of the purportedly "non-addictive" additives), but those physical "needs" will lessen each day, and will eventually fade completely. The psychological addiction takes much longer to dissipate.

A way to boost your morale is to regard each day that you don't smoke as a victory (which it is)! In the initial phase of quitting, you will feel like each day is a little more difficult to maintain your promise. However, NOT smoking is a habit as well, and as you develop that more positive habit, it will become natural to you. Though the craving may always be there, it will stop posing a threat after a while.

Keep it up; you will succeed!

Christian
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby Christian » 25 Sep 2009 21:25

Congratulations! And keep it up! I hope you kick this habit for good! :biggrin: :clapping:

Why So Serious!

Odd One
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Odd One » 25 Sep 2009 22:32

Dude, right on. You can do it!! Sounds like you have the right motivation.

I also quit smoking cigarettes when my son was 2 & asked me about it. My mom smokes & he had seen her smoking & he asked me if I smoked. I didn't want to lie, so I decided to quit cold turkey right then so technically I wasn't lying (he didn't ask if I HAD smoked!! LOL)

I still smoke an occasional cigar mostly when I'm golfing or playing poker with my buddies but quitting cigs was the hardest thing I've ever done.

paulmason
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby paulmason » 26 Sep 2009 04:38

im doin the same lol i started at some time in 2004 aswell and iv been quittin recently, iv been usin nicorette patches and inhilators, the inhilators really work so i suggest u give them a try :) and yeah it is hard

im not the master of the universe, i walk the earth the wrong way

locoduc
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby locoduc » 26 Sep 2009 05:42

Awsome. My wife stopped for 3 years because of our son being born and breastfeeding. Hope you get to the point of not thinking about it. Ever notice when you get busy there isn't a thought about smoking until you stop for a break? Might help getting a hobby to occupy yourself. Good luck.

Microwaved Fresh Daily

Joseppi
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Joseppi » 26 Sep 2009 17:58

This is definitely one of the hardest things I've had to do. I'm on my 3rd day. Which means the nicotine is still out of my system. I've had a few cravings today.

And my sister and her husband quit about 2 years ago. And they have been really self-righteous non-smokers. (Which is much worse than a smoker IMO.) And my mom and my cousin are trying to quit too. I dreamed last night that all 4 of them started smoking again and I caught them and was pissed! But even then in the dream, I didn't smoke.

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 26 Sep 2009 20:41

RandyF
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby RandyF » 20 Oct 2009 17:00

The hardest thing I've had to quit is drugs and alcohol. Almost 4 yrs sober and there still isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about using. I will always remember the taste of beer and the buzz and the rush from drugs. I still smoke cigarettes and hope to quit one day, but that might be just as hard if not harder. Good Luck. Take it a minute at a time if you have to.

" And the choice I wish I'd made I always make too late "
" I've come a long way, I went the wrong way "

Return to “Random”