Relieved and scared at the same time

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cody Lee
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Relieved and scared at the same time

Unread postby Cody Lee » 31 Jan 2010 15:16

Well I did something I've wanted to do for about 8 months now. I quit my job. It wasn't a serious, just waiting tables but I've been there for about a year and a half and I've been taking their sh*t for about a year. They overwork, underpay, and just flat out treat every single employee (like 6 of us including my mother) like sh*t. $2 an hour when waiting tables, which I understand cause that's waiter pay and I get tips. But then we close and clean (sweep, mob, SCRUB EVERY f*ck THING, etc) for about 3 hours (just 3 of us cleaning) and we get about 2 bucks less than minimum wage. I could write a book but they constantly yell at us, bitch at us, etc over stupid stuff. Everyone except me and 2 others who gets hired quits within weeks. Well my mom had been hurting for 2 days and last night she had to go to the ER. She has a hernia and is now waiting at the hospital for surgery. I went in to cover her shift at 5am this morning so that they wouldn't be down a person. They don't thank, instead they say "Why didn't she call us and let us know?" I explained that the pain from the hernia might have caused her to forget to call in to work lol. They made comments about it all day. Then after work we had a "Employee Meeting" in which they gave us a set of new rules, which was the same rules we've always, but this time they had to say "We just want to put emphasis on rule #3 YOU MUST ALWAYS CALL IN IF YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK" She then when on to tell me how even when she was in the hospital one time she called her boss every day to let him know. They went on and on and on and as much as I wanted to yell at them like I've wanted to for a long time I just walked out.

I've been looking for another job for some time but now I have the motivation and fear of knowing I have no job and bills to pay so hopefully I find one soon. I really had been planning a long ass speech to give them the day I quit but I don't do that kind of stuff, as much as I wanted to.

AHHHH ok
/rant
/wall of text
Last edited by Cody Lee on 01 Feb 2010 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

"An idea is like a virus, resilient, highly contagious. The smallest seed of an idea can grow. It can grow to define, or destroy you."
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
Formerly known as Cakerz

RowdyJayJay
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Relived and scared at the same time

Unread postby RowdyJayJay » 31 Jan 2010 15:59

Cakerz, I took the time to read your post and can absolutely understand your point of view in this labor matter. Fortunately, I have been working in organized labor for the last 10 years and have a union to back me up and take care of me, of course this comes with a premium that I pay monthly, but so worth it. I have made a conscious effort to listen to those who work the same kind of jobs that I worked prior to this one. I absolutely despise places like Wal-Mart, most fast food joints, and other low-paying, no appreciate places of employment. I can't fathom how somebody can function on minimum wage and zero respect. I hate how these fat cats in corporate offices can live like kings while so many people are struggling. I am not too serious about many issues, but this is NOT one of them. I'm glad you decided to take the plunge and stand up for what you feel is right. Most times I would say quitting a job isn't a good decision, but in some cases I believe you have to free yourself from the chains and take a step forward. Now that being said, I wish you all the luck in your job hunting and know good things will happen for you dude. Keep us posted!

"When I die, I hope they don't cremate me 'cuz I'll burn forever."
Harry Caray circa 1983

Crazzzy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby Crazzzy » 31 Jan 2010 17:16

This is how I feel everyday at my job, which is why I think Pitiful is my favorite song by SP, since it was written for people like us! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Check out my band

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 31 Jan 2010 17:24

Sounds like you made the right decision to leave. I hope you find something new and better soon!

Juliesnaps
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Juliesnaps » 31 Jan 2010 23:35

that just reminds me of life at my job ugh.

you did the right thing, both covering for your mother and walking out the door.
I wish you the best of luck finding something new and that that place is better.

DropC
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby DropC » 01 Feb 2010 20:46

I can't relate to the job itself, but I know more than well enough how it feels to be in a situation where you have to deal w/ someone's sh*t for no good reason. I wish you the best of luck in whatever job you get next, and I hope your mom makes a speedy recovery.

The next time they stop outside my f*cking house, I'm gonna drag them out the back door and...
*KnockKnock*
Who's there?
Max.
Max? Max who?
Makes no difference OPEN THE DOOR!
I lost the game.

Cody Lee
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Relieved and scared at the same time

Unread postby Cody Lee » 05 Feb 2010 12:22

Well she's home from the hospital, surgery ended up being a lot more serious and complicated then originally planned but she's ok now, probably going to be out of commission for at least 6 weeks. I've got a few possibilities on jobs as well, hopefully getting a call Monday or Tuesday.

"An idea is like a virus, resilient, highly contagious. The smallest seed of an idea can grow. It can grow to define, or destroy you."
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
Formerly known as Cakerz

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Relieved and scared at the same time

Unread postby Katy » 05 Feb 2010 16:45

I'm glad to hear your Mom is doing okay now. I will keep my fingers crossed that she'll have a speedy recovery and that you get a phone call and interview for a new job. :)

Return to “Random”