Maybe It's Time to Change

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Takanada
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Maybe It's Time to Change

Unread postby Takanada » 01 Apr 2010 07:09

Well, I work at Wal-Mart and have for the last 3 1/2 years. Originally started there because my mom got hurt on her job and there was a chance that the Worker's Comp. would discontinue her check. Well, it's been settled and the family's into a groove and now I have to opportunity to go back and finish college as my check isn't a neccesity anymore.

Well, as I work overnight, it would be difficult if not near impossible to work and go to school both. I decided I would quit my job so I could get everything in order for the Fall semester. It came time last night to turn in my two weeks notice... I got cold feet. I was scared because I'd become accustomed to the way things are. I went to break and turned the music player on my phone (with earbuds to not disturb anyone).

Oddly enough, with the songs on shuffle, "Odd One" came on first. The song always makes me feel better. However, afterwards, the wierdest thing happened. Out of all the other songs to pick from, the music player picked "Maybe". I absorbed the words and by the time it was over. I was and still am completely convinced it's time for things to change. It was feeling wrong to turn in my notice, but mainly because I can be afraid of change. However, along with several other songs, "Maybe" gave me the courage to do what I needed to do.

(chorus)
Maybe it's time to change
and leave it all behind
I've never been one to walk alone
I've always been scared to try
so why does it feel so wrong
to reach for something more
to wanna live a better life
what am I waiting for?

'cause nothing stays the same
maybe it's time to change

Those were the words that sunk in and encouraged me. Thanks again Pups! In a couple years, I'll be making more money and hopefully making more concerts than ever! :rock:

Final Fantasy 7
Past Shows:
10/15/2009 Hattiesburg, MS 10/18/2009 Biloxi, MS 02/01/2010 Baton Rouge, LA
02/02/2010 Birmingham, AL 04/21/2010 Atlanta, GA 04/22/2010 Jackson, MS
07/10/2010 Biloxi, MS 07/12/2010 Baton Rouge, LA

Gabby
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Maybe It's Time to Change

Unread postby Gabby » 01 Apr 2010 08:36

I'm in almost an identical position you're in. I go to class 2 times a week and then work for the other 5 days. My Walmart has me working 33 hours a week, which is crazy for part-time.

My grades are slipping horribly because I have no time to study. I start to play Odd One and it reminds me that all the crap I put up with now will pay out big in the end.

Just hang in there. It really is gonna be ok. :hug:

Takanada
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Takanada » 01 Apr 2010 09:51

Wow... 33 hours a week part-time? My WalMart barely gives that to the full-time employees. The overnight part-times get up to 32 hours a week (if they can work 4 days a week). Most daytime full-time employees only get 34-35 hours a week... :noclue:

Final Fantasy 7
Past Shows:
10/15/2009 Hattiesburg, MS 10/18/2009 Biloxi, MS 02/01/2010 Baton Rouge, LA
02/02/2010 Birmingham, AL 04/21/2010 Atlanta, GA 04/22/2010 Jackson, MS
07/10/2010 Biloxi, MS 07/12/2010 Baton Rouge, LA

David
Ambassador Guardian
Ambassador Guardian

Unread postby David » 01 Apr 2010 10:04

I'm glad your taking a stand and going back to school. The University I graduated from had a big qoute on the wall inside the admin building, and I really like it.

"Only the Educated are Free"
Epictetus

I DO!!!!

ckiemnstr345
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby ckiemnstr345 » 01 Apr 2010 11:29

I was in the same position a couple years ago. It was the end of my 6 year contract with the Navy to come to an end. In the Navy a person can only serve for 8 years as an E-4 on active duty. I could either extend my contract for another 2 years and hope I didn't get advanced and get a nice separation check for hitting my high year tenure as an E-4 or just separate. The problem with shooting for high year tenure is that I would have to do middle of the road work just so I wouldn't get in trouble and I wouldn't be in the spotlight either. I was making about 15k a year as an E-4 but with everything else paid for. Right when I separated I would work for about 56 to 64 hours, with 32 of it being straight, a week but this was in port. If the ship was out to sea I would have to work for 168 hours a week.

I ended up separating just because I was tired of having to work so much for so little money.

Achieving total skin coverage one tattoo at a time.

Return to “Random”