Venting time...

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
leanneortbals
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Venting time...

Unread postby leanneortbals » 13 Jun 2011 15:13

Sorry this post doesn't have anything to do with SP but I've seen other people vent on the forum so here goes. I'm not usually one to freak out about things--I'd like to think I'm a pretty chill person.

However, I just got a letter in the mail that changed things a bit. Last week I received an email from my university telling me that tuition next year would go up by $4,000. Obviously I felt annoyed but there's nothing much I can do about it. I'm going into my senior year so it's almost over.

Today I received a letter in the mail with my financial aid info for next year. In the past, I had two scholarships, one based on merit and one based on need. The letter told me that the university is cutting my need based scholarship completely. I don't understand it. My parents don't make any more money than they did last year and as the 5th child to go to college, I definitely still NEED my need based scholarship.

I go to a prestigious private university in Boston that already charges an obscene amount of money to attend. The only way I can go is because of my scholarships. With the raise in tuition and the cutting of funds, there is no way that my parents can afford to pay for it. If I take out more student loans, I will double the amount I owe from the previous 3 years in just one year.

What choices do I have? I can drop out before my senior year and waste the tens of thousands of dollars and time I've already committed to my education or I can play into the university's scheme and pay the money. You'd think that as a rising senior with an outstanding GPA, the university would recognize my accomplishments. Nope. Instead, they screw me!

I know my parents will find a way to send me but it breaks my heart to ask them to pay so much money. I'm the one that chose the expensive university and I don't want to take advantage of their generosity. I'm just so afraid of more student loans considering that a lot of college graduates can't find jobs and can't pay back their educations. It's a tough world out there!

I guess I should go drown myself in SP for awhile and get out of my own head. Thanks for listening.

<3 Leanne

kakugori
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Venting time...

Unread postby kakugori » 13 Jun 2011 22:33

Ahh! I'm sorry to hear this, that is a nightmare situation.

Can you maybe appeal to the financial aid department, get some help to see what else they can offer you? Are there general requirement credits (math or english type stuff that transfers easily) you could take at somewhere like a community college, or online, where it would be less expensive? I know you said you're coming up on your senior year but it's worth looking into. Definitely also ask about doing work study - some places will comp you a credit if you work so many hours per week for the school.

leanneortbals
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby leanneortbals » 14 Jun 2011 14:08

Unfortunately I've already finished all of my general requirements and actually most of the requirements for my majors. I also already do work study but at my school it barely makes a dent in tuition.

Thanks though for your advice and I will definitely appeal it to financial aid!

<3 Leanne

x_Carlie
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby x_Carlie » 14 Jun 2011 14:18

Sorry to hear that. At least you're going into your senior year, so it's almost over. (:

Tara
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Tara » 14 Jun 2011 14:22

I totally agree that you should at least find out why they cut your need scholorship. Maybe it was a mistake, and reapplying may change their minds. or the work study is good too that way you get to meet new people you may have not met (can you tell I did that? and met great peeps and got a few incredible jobs thru them)

good luck

ckiemnstr345
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby ckiemnstr345 » 14 Jun 2011 20:37

If you can deal with massive amounts of boredom and paper work then you might look into having the Navy or Air Force pay for your tuition. The other nice thing is that they will also pay any outstanding student loans you have before you join. Another positive is that when you go get a job having military experience is nice on your resume. The only downside is that you would have to be in the military for four to six years depending on the amount of money they have to pay.

Achieving total skin coverage one tattoo at a time.

leanneortbals
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby leanneortbals » 15 Jun 2011 18:49

<3 Leanne

Ceallach
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Ceallach » 22 Jun 2011 21:53

I don't know if it's available at your university, or exactly how it works, but.....
have you checked out DREAMKEEPERS? Here's the link to their website:

The one SINGLE thing that I've learned while being in school: Financial Aid offices seem to ALL be run haphazardly, at best, with no one seeming to have the slightest clue as to what they are doing - or that they are there to assist & serve US, the students!!!

It's like another course, one with major study hours required, staying on top of FA and trying to prevent their screw-ups - since once it's f'd up, it:
1) Completely ruins your academic performance.
2) Takes 5-times as long to resolve as it did to occur.
3) Is ALWAYS blamed on you, the student.
4) Requires far more action, paperwork, and hassle from the student, while the uni staff happily discusses where they're going to order lunch from.

MUSIC SPEAKS WHEN WORDS FAIL

angelbear425
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby angelbear425 » 22 Jun 2011 22:08

Shim: You don't like Rage Against the Machine?
Me: I like one song.
Shim: Which one?
Me: Bulls on Parade.
Shim: F%&* off! HAHA

Ceallach
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Ceallach » 22 Jun 2011 23:45

MUSIC SPEAKS WHEN WORDS FAIL

angelbear425
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby angelbear425 » 23 Jun 2011 09:18

If you don't want your parents to have to pay all the money you could also get a part time job and use that as part of the tuition. :smile:

Shim: You don't like Rage Against the Machine?
Me: I like one song.
Shim: Which one?
Me: Bulls on Parade.
Shim: F%&* off! HAHA

leanneortbals
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby leanneortbals » 25 Jun 2011 19:35

I have a job which helps for food and going out money but unfortunately with taking 20hrs a semester, I don't make enough to make a big dent in tuition. My mom and I agreed to split the cost so that should help them out.

<3 Leanne

Return to “Random”