Favorite Venue

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
jloebig
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Favorite Venue

Unread postby jloebig » 25 Jul 2010 19:55

What is your favorite venue to see a band and where is it? Occasionally I find myself in a new city and when you ask a local where is a good place to see some bands I never get a good answer. So I thought I would ask those of you who who share my taste in music.

BTW here are my top 2 in Michigan...

Machine Shop - Flint, Michigan - National and local acts fill this rough looking bar on a daily basis. Its a bit intimidating with its fierce bouncers and in a rough city but the people are truly genuine and the music rocks like no other.
DTE Music Theater - Clarkston, Michigan - Outdoor concert venue, its a true summer requirement for me to catch at least 1 show there. Would love for SP to headline there, maybe next summer.

Outside of Michigan...
Wasted Space at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. Great intimate joint, the only place I have found that feels real in that city.

Jen

*J*
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Favorite Venue

Unread postby *J* » 06 Aug 2010 20:28

I saw Linkin Park at DTE a couple of years ago. My husband is from Detroit, so besides our frequent trips to see the Red Wings...we also try to scheudle a concert.

If I can't catch a show in AZ, I go elsewhere....

George's Magestic in Fayetteville, AR rocked!! Intimate venue with an old school vibe.

I love any House of Blues, again smaller venues...see them theme? Another reason they rock is because if you buy something there, you can get into a special line to enter the venue first. It's called "Pass the Line"...Genius!! I have been to Boston, Vegas, & Anaheim. I liked the Vegas HOB because they had a bar server walking along the rail so you didn't have to leave your spot to get a beverage.

stephb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby stephb » 06 Aug 2010 20:56

If anyone is in Omaha, Sokal Auditorium is a nice place. It is kind of in a seedy part of town but inside is a smaller venue with a closeness to the bands and people when playing.

Steph

Hollee
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Hollee » 07 Aug 2010 20:43

When I lived in Texas, I absolutely LOVED going to the HOB in Dallas or the Scout Bar in San Antonio. Nothing beats the Austin live music scene though. I spent the weekend there for SXSW and all of those little bar venues were just amazing.

Here in Colorado, I really like the Ogden Theatre in Denver.

Elsewhere, I have to say the Village in Little Rock is pretty awesome, small and intimate, yet rocking and in your face. The Varsity in Baton Rouge is amazing too.

dlcramer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dlcramer » 08 Aug 2010 00:45

I really liked George's Majestic in Fayetteville AR. If I was going to change anything, I would make the stage just a foot taller. Felt bad for the people behind me being 6'3 and the stage was at the height of my knee.

*J*
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby *J* » 08 Aug 2010 12:57

Yeah, I wish we had some cool venues in Phoenix...maybe we do - I just haven't been had the pleasure.

Julie
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Julie » 09 Aug 2010 18:22

The Electric Factory and TLA in Philly are both cool venues in the area. :rock: I love the Electric Factory as its bar is on the 2nd level and you can get an awesome seat dircetly above the stage for a great view of the crowd and band, as well as a decent sound system. :biggrin:

My theory is as such....70 year-olds of today swing dance at weddings, so at 70 we'll be moshing and head banging in walkers to Rage.

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Donna » 09 Aug 2010 19:46

I like the two that Julie listed above as well and I have to add The Note in West Chester . Although the stage is a bit small the sound is pretty good and it's a really nice / clean venue with a bar downstairs and an upstairs with a bar and a balcony that allows you a pretty awesome view of the stage .
The bartenders here actually know how to make your drinks too .. I've been too a couple venues recently where I think I could have made a better drink myself :tongue:

For out of state venues where I have seen SP I would have to say The Pageant in St. Louis and Cubby Bear in Chicago, Il. The reasons being pretty much the same as the above and the fact that they involved awesome road trips with friends -- great memories .

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

jloebig
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby jloebig » 16 Aug 2010 17:50

Thank you for the great spots to check out. I am craving a road trip now. I have never been to a HOB, I will the next time I'm in a city that has one.
On a similar thread, if you have places to avoid I would love to hear those too.

Jen

Cherrycola
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Cherrycola » 16 Aug 2010 22:31

The Culture Room in FL is a pretty good place. It's very initimate and who ever is playing generally takes the time to meet anyone and then go to the local pub right next door. But enough with me giving away secrets :wink:

angelbear425
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby angelbear425 » 16 Aug 2010 22:40

Hmmm I've been to sooo many I can't even remember them all. :laugh:

I would have to say one of my favs was def The Town Ballroom in Buffalo, NJ. It was cozy and set up quite nice. The floor was a few steps lower than the back so if you stood in the back you could see over people.

I also liked the Starland Ballroom in NJ. Again because of the way it was set up. Cozy seating and such.

My fav HOB venue was in Cleveland because the security weren't jerks. :laugh:

I liked Sonar in Baltimore because the AC was great!! Plus no matter where you were in the venue you could see great.

Shim: You don't like Rage Against the Machine?
Me: I like one song.
Shim: Which one?
Me: Bulls on Parade.
Shim: F%&* off! HAHA

Cassie
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby Cassie » 16 Aug 2010 22:50

Hollee
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Hollee » 17 Aug 2010 08:55

I would try to avoid Nitetown in Lafayette, LA. They're pretty shady and it's not the best venue.

jloebig
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby jloebig » 17 Aug 2010 12:08

Jen

angelbear425
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby angelbear425 » 17 Aug 2010 13:19

Julie
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Julie » 17 Aug 2010 13:40

Its def a good area here. With NYC, NJ, Baltimore and southeast PA we tend to get a string of good shows within 2 hours driving range (for Philly).

:rock:

My theory is as such....70 year-olds of today swing dance at weddings, so at 70 we'll be moshing and head banging in walkers to Rage.

jloebig
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby jloebig » 17 Aug 2010 19:35

Julie & Angelbear, I have filled her in on the venues, thanks so much. She moved from the Detroit area and out here there is live music in just about every town (some better than others of course) but at least you are always 30-45 min away from a good venue. I think she was starting to feel a bit deprived because hitting NYC isn't always feasible. She will be checking out the Sept 19 show for sure.

Everyone, keep 'em coming. Heading to Charlotte in the near future, any suggestions?

Jen

angelbear425
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby angelbear425 » 17 Aug 2010 19:41

Julie
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Julie » 17 Aug 2010 20:11

jloebig
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby jloebig » 17 Aug 2010 20:31

Jen

Return to “Random”