The Best/Worst Part about being a bass player?

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DXCrue
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Best/Worst Part about being a bass player?

Unread postby DXCrue » 18 Dec 2010 18:11

Best Part: There are never enough of you and as such, you'll always be able to find work.

Worst Part: Odds are, no one will be able to remember what work you did. :smile:

Something my buddy pointed out to me, when the 7th band I've joined broke up. Only to reform in another state without me. :laugh:

Eh whatever. I'm in it more for the music anyway. And I've gotten to jam with some of the coolest people on earth. And now I get to do it all over again! Truly blessed is the wanderin' bass player. Anyother bass players out there with some intrestin' stories? What's your best/worst part of bein the bassist?

DXCrue
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: The Best/Worst Part about being a bass player?

Unread postby DXCrue » 19 Dec 2010 19:20

My favorite question I've ever gotten? "So, are you like with the band?" :laugh:

But I don't mind. I just say that bass players are confident with the strings we have. While the guitarist feels the need to say "compensate" with more ;)

DXCrue
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby DXCrue » 19 Dec 2010 20:17

Also, a weird thing I wanted to ask. Pick or no pick? I've heard the arguments for both sides. Pick= More cleaner sounding notes, more profesional. No Pick= Fuller sound, can "feel the music man!" lol. At least that's what my teacher said.

Personaly, I ended up not using picks because I kept losing the damn things. :laugh: Now it's just sorta something I've grown use to. I often feel using a pick just confies my fingers and slows me down. But I'd like to here anyone else's opionon. The fact that I have been kicked out of 7 bands, is some proof that I'm , surprise! , not perfect. :smile:

DXCrue
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby DXCrue » 20 Dec 2010 14:53

Hate the fact that there's a seriosuly skewed scale in abilty. You are either good enough, or just insanly good. Really hard to gauge how much better your getting untill you either a) Are complmented on your bass playing by non-band members ( at this point you are GOD) or b) Offered the holiest of all honors. The bass solo. It helps if both the singer and the drummer need bathroom breaks. :laugh:

DXCrue
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby DXCrue » 22 Dec 2010 19:32

Speaking of which, does anyone here solo? Your thoughts on the bass solo? I'll give you my two cents ( and because tis the season I'll give you 10 :), as a bass player....God I hate bass solos. For the bassist(me) They are not music to my ears, and maddingly hard to play right, but relatively easy to play wrong. Even if you got the right notes, it's a "feel" thing. Like Emma and her slap-bass technique. Now THAT girl can and should solo. Hitting the notes right isn't as hard as keeping the rhythm. And as a listenr I got to say they are as dull as dirt. I more of a pocket player. Keeping tempo and tone. If I do my job right you never know I'm there till I stop playing. :music:

Though I will have to say there are a percious few bass solos that are actaully nice to listen to and not so much giant "I'm a serious artist" wank sessions/dick measuring contests. *CoughcoucghLesClaypoolcouch!*

kamieleanne
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby kamieleanne » 25 Dec 2010 07:17

The BEST part about being a bass player, is knowing that without you, the band will sound like a cat screaming while baloney is being thrown at its face.
The WORST part about being a bass player, is that the bass tends to get reaaallyyy reaaaalllyy hot on stage, and it often burns your wrists. :(

Kamie...xx <3

Return to “Random”