Anybody here from Boston, Mass?

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Myst
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Anybody here from Boston, Mass?

Unread postby Myst » 05 Feb 2011 08:25

Haven't posted much lately, so sorry if this post seems sorta random and out of the blue... I've been VERY busy with my final year in uni. (Set to graduate in May, woohoo!) As such... I've been starting to think about where I want to go once I do graduate. As this is the only really diverse forum I frequent, I figured this would be a good place to go looking for opinions :)

I'm a true Vermonter, born and raised... and ready to get out of this state. I live in central VT right now, and since I don't want to go TOO far away from my family, I'm really starting to look at Boston, Mass or that general area. I've browsed the internet, and there are numerous job postings in the Boston area for my field, so it's looking like a leading contender. So I guess my question... if anyone here is from that area, can you give me an idea of what Boston is like? I don't imagine the weather is too much different than what I'm used to in VT, though I've never lived near a coast, so I don't know how much that changes things.

I lived in Burlington, VT (Vermont's version of a "city") for 3 years while in school, and although I grew up on a single-lane dirt road, I've found I prefer living closer to civilization, lol. What are apartments like down there? Big buildings with a lot of apartments in them, or are there townhouses and the like? Reasonably priced or will I run into the same crazy inflation I did in Burlington? And I guess just the general question... what's it like to live there?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to give me their honest opinion! :)

kamieleanne
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Anybody here from Boston, Mass?

Unread postby kamieleanne » 06 Feb 2011 01:05

I don't live in Boston, never been there, but I HAVE heard it's actually a pretty good part of the U.S to live in. A friend of mine did an exchange over there in Boston and she absolutely loved it.

Kamie...xx <3

Rose
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Rose » 06 Feb 2011 07:30

I don't live there but I go there often and its a good city. There's good food, good shopping, and the weather is not to bad, especially if your coming from Vermont, not sure about apartment prices but as long as you stay away from Newburry street you should be able to find something reasonable.

There is so much culture and diversity, there's an Italian festival with awesome food :drool: , there's China Town, there's everything you could want and most of it's within relative walking distance. We went there for New Years, and it was great.

As long as you don't mind city life, the constant noise, lights (though they get pretty easy to tune out) you should be fine.

Portland ME, 11/26/10, Bangor ME, 7/31/11, Boston MA, 9/20/12,
Portland ME, 8/14/13

Myst
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Myst » 06 Feb 2011 08:32

For the longest time I always thought I'd hate living in a city, lol. But good thing about going to uni, it exposed me to some sort of city culture, and now I'm used to it. Now that I'm down south a bit farther and in the countryside while completing my internship, I'm going insane. It's too quiet, and there's nothing to do! The one thing I loved about Burlington, there was ALWAYS something to do.

Lights and noise don't faze me anymore either - I can now apparently sleep through earthquakes :P I remember when just a car driving by would be enough to wake me up... lol.

tbritting
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby tbritting » 06 Feb 2011 20:19

Could always give Portland Maine a try, less crime here then most of Boston :laugh:

kamieleanne
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby kamieleanne » 07 Feb 2011 02:27

Kamie...xx <3

Return to “Random”