Guitar noob

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
summertime<3
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Guitar noob

Unread postby summertime<3 » 09 Mar 2011 14:55

So I've always wanted to learn to play guitar, and since seeing SP last wknd, I've been motivated to actually do it. Any advice on where to start? My boyfriend plays, so I've messed around on his a little. I know the beginning of All The Same.. Should I start learning simple chords, or by just jumping into songs I like and learning as I go? I'm lost..lol. Any advice from guitar players out there would be great. Thanks guys!

..and i'm drowning in the ashes; kicking, screaming. <3
Dubuque, IA ~ 7/26/2008
Milwaukee, WI ~ 5/21/2010
Peoria, IL ~ 12/10/2010
Waterloo, IA ~ 3/4/2011 <3
Rockford, IL ~ 5/14/2011

Platteville, WI ~ 9/5/2011

rbell2915
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Guitar noob

Unread postby rbell2915 » 12 Mar 2011 14:00

i also want to play guitar after listening to Sick Puppies a lot.
but i can't really help you with that, because a can barely sturm it. lmao :wall:

07/13/2011 Great America, Gurnee, Illinois
03/01/2014 Mojoes, Joliet, Illinois

Boogieman900
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Boogieman900 » 12 Mar 2011 17:19

How much musical theory do you know? Because i recommend starting there, and start learning how to play scales, once you have them down, start learning simple chords and songs.( Green day-Time of Your life, RJA-Your Gaurdian Angel, Linkin Park-The Messenger.) That should help you get started, and the best tip i can give you. Practice, Practice, Practice, and more practice. even if it is just for half an hour a day.

David
Ambassador Guardian
Ambassador Guardian

Unread postby David » 12 Mar 2011 17:42

I've been playing for about 7 years, I say start learning the easy chords....G, C, A, E....with those you can play a million songs. Sorry to disagree with above post...but you don't need to worry much about the theory to pick it up and have fun. I can rock along with a lot of songs but I can barely play a scale. It all depends on what kind of guitar player you want to be. Do you want to be able to shred? Or do you just want to play along? If you want to shred then you totally have to know scales.....but I personally wouldn't start there.

Yes....it takes practice....lots of it.....your going to sound bad for awhile...but push through it. Yes....your fingers are going to bleed if you do it right...but then you get caluses and it dosent hurt anymore.

Getting your hands to play chords isn't easy at first, you have to get them to contort to positions that arnt natural, but keep practicing until you can play them.....then work on 'snapping' from one chord to another.

I like to put covers on youtube......
http://www.youtube.com/user/nowherekid01

I DO!!!!

Boogieman900
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Boogieman900 » 12 Mar 2011 18:44

summertime<3
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby summertime<3 » 14 Mar 2011 13:17

I'm completely uneducated in music. :biggrin:

I pick on up things pretty quickly though. My boyfriend taught me the beginning of all the same; I can remember the fingering really easy, and can play it on my own after him showing me only a few times, but I couldn't tell you what the hell the chords or anything were.

And I can read tabs.. I learned the beginning of Time of Your Life, and can play that pretty well.

I suppose I should just keep looking up tabs of songs I like, then learning the names of the chords and the fingering as I go?

Dubuque, IA ~ 7/26/2008
Peoria, IL ~ 12/10/2010
Rockford, IL ~ 5/14/2011

Crazzzy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Crazzzy » 14 Mar 2011 21:35

Check out my band

summertime<3
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby summertime<3 » 15 Mar 2011 10:17

kay, great.
thanks guys!

Dubuque, IA ~ 7/26/2008
Peoria, IL ~ 12/10/2010
Rockford, IL ~ 5/14/2011

Return to “Random”