Career Crisis

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DropC
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Career Crisis

Unread postby DropC » 13 Nov 2009 06:20

I'm having trouble deciding what I wanna go to college for, so everyone tell me what you do for a living and how you like it!

The next time they stop outside my f*cking house, I'm gonna drag them out the back door and...
*KnockKnock*
Who's there?
Max.
Max? Max who?
Makes no difference OPEN THE DOOR!
I lost the game.

siberianknight
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Career Crisis

Unread postby siberianknight » 13 Nov 2009 15:20

I think it depends what you're best at, honestly. I'm in college now, so I can atleast give a little advice.

I decided to go to a community college near me (I never actually planned on going to college) for Music. I wasn't forced by my parents to do it, so I could choose what I wanted. I really had my choice between computer sciences (Which is what I'm naturally good at) and music (Which is what I love).

You might have alot of trouble finding places that offer music as a major. Alot of the colleges around here don't because they feel it's "not important enough". I know you're a musician, so if that's what you wanted I'd look into becoming a music teacher.

At the very least, if you start a band, you have a degree in music to fall back on, should anything happen.

But really, it's what you want to do. Trust me, you don't want to go to college and do something you really don't want to do. I've seen people fail entire semesters because of that.

"You're not a judge
But if you're gonna judge me
Well, sentence me
To another life."

Stacey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stacey » 13 Nov 2009 17:50

Honestly, I would take the first couple years to get the required courses cleared up. During that time you'll not only become open to what the school has to offer, you'll also learn more about yourself as an adult and then be able to pick a major. Don't let anyone tell you you have to pick one now.
Last edited by Stacey on 13 Nov 2009 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Sassy, Classy And A Little Smart Assy

5/31/07-Denver~8/5/08-Casper~8/20/08-Denver~9/8/09-CO Springs~9/9/09-Denver~10/23/09-Nashville~5/12/10-CO Springs~5/13/10-Denver~4/22/11-Casper~7/27/11-Cheyenne~10/16/11-Las Vegas~10/12/12-Casper~10/13/12-Denver~6/22/13-North Platte~9/3/13-Denver~12/13/13-CO Springs~3/10/14-Denver~5/1/16-Jacksonville~12/8/16-Omaha~3/2/17-Billings~4/30/17-Henderson, NV

Anthony
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Anthony » 13 Nov 2009 18:15

^^ I agree with stacy. Thats exactly what I tell everyone who is in this same situation.

I went to college for electrical, dropped out halfway through and switched to electronics Got my degree in electronics in May, And just recently got a job doing a mixture of both electronics and electrical at one of the worlds largest printing presses. I am very intrigued by this field and do enjoy it (...I think... its hard to tell at this point because its so new to me) but to be honest I "fell" into this career path. My real passion is with music. I can't figure out how to describe what I do and what I like about it short enough for this forum, but if electrical or electronics interest you I'd be more than willing to inform you on what its all about. Just message me :)

I like where I'm at on my back floating down in my own riptide...the water is fine :P

hshiau
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby hshiau » 14 Nov 2009 01:46

i also agree with stacey. you absolutely don't need to know what you want to do to go to college. the degree itself means everything, not what the degree is in. i'm in technology and know plenty of english, biology, etc majors that ended up in technology. same goes for econ majors that go into medicine, etc. get into the best school you can and go get a degree. the rest comes with time.

DropC
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby DropC » 14 Nov 2009 17:07

Thanks everyone! And Stacey, I'm actually gonna probably do that! I'm on a Tech prep course, so I'm gonna take my cores for 2 years, then transfer to a university :biggrin:

I like the music idea! But, would I have to learn something other than guitar? Cause I was in band once, and I don;t like other instruments :noclue:

The next time they stop outside my f*cking house, I'm gonna drag them out the back door and...
*KnockKnock*
Who's there?
Max.
Max? Max who?
I lost the game.

Stacey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stacey » 14 Nov 2009 19:05

That is a smart idea. I tell ya I had an awful time my first year because people kept telling me I HAD to pick a major. So I picked Zoology Physiology. Because I want to go into Wildlife management. Guess what...I learned faster than I cared to that I suck at biology. So I pretty much failed out my first semester. Then I went into early childhood development...had a nervous breakdown at 19 when one of my kiddos had a seizure on me. Moving on to teaching High school Social studies/history. Now mind you at this point I'm 3 yrs into college. I should have been getting ready to graduate with my BA. It took those 3 yrs and my venture into teaching for me to finally realize that I love history but I didn't want to teach it and so that was my final change. It took me 6 yrs to get that BA because of all that change. Then if you decide to get an MA my advice then is choose your thesis defense committee very carefully. Or that will cost you an extra 2 yrs...lol

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

As for the music thing. I have no clue cause I can barely sing.

5/31/07-Denver~8/5/08-Casper~8/20/08-Denver~9/8/09-CO Springs~9/9/09-Denver~10/23/09-Nashville~5/12/10-CO Springs~5/13/10-Denver~4/22/11-Casper~7/27/11-Cheyenne~10/16/11-Las Vegas~10/12/12-Casper~10/13/12-Denver~6/22/13-North Platte~9/3/13-Denver~12/13/13-CO Springs~3/10/14-Denver~5/1/16-Jacksonville~12/8/16-Omaha~3/2/17-Billings~4/30/17-Henderson, NV

Slivarito
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Slivarito » 14 Nov 2009 22:25

In college right now myself...
I don't know, for me, I'm going into education, first high school world history, then college either psych or philo. I recommend going into a field you love, never go into it for the money. I have too many friends who did that and are regreting it now. With college though... you really have plenty of time to figure out what you want. Take a variety of courses, get an AA or certificate like it, and you'll eventually find what you want to do.

LET'S DO THIS!!!

siberianknight
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby siberianknight » 15 Nov 2009 01:23

"You're not a judge
But if you're gonna judge me
Well, sentence me
To another life."

Liznaxadalia
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Liznaxadalia » 16 Nov 2009 03:02

just like everyone said - follow your HEART, do what you want to do, :) never fall for money or something that you have no interest in, you might end up badly :)

..the safest place in life is NOW,today's the day we're breakin out'-ml
NeverTakeUsAlive
You can build a life and have it broken down
You can chose a path and get turned around
As for me, 've lost friends lost lovers
But I still got my soul
My Life is My inspiration,:)

hshiau
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby hshiau » 16 Nov 2009 04:08

i will offer a slightly different opinion. while following your heart is great, it sure would be nice to be able to pay the bills and live comfortably.

Stacey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stacey » 16 Nov 2009 06:03

^^^^Exactly

DropC
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby DropC » 16 Nov 2009 06:41

Hshia and Stacey, nice down-to-world input =D
I'm thinking about going to a military college for my core, while going to a Tech school for Graphic arts. I'll finish the Graphic Arts pretty fast, cause the courses are short. Then I might go to be an English teacher. I love literature. But IDK.

I have to take my ACTs...

*KnockKnock*
Who's there?
Max.
Max? Max who?
I lost the game.

Stacey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stacey » 16 Nov 2009 08:56

I have no doubt you will do well in anything you choose. :wink:

Liznaxadalia
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Liznaxadalia » 17 Nov 2009 06:59

^ agreed. :) you could be an english literature teacher if you wanted, or you could keep writing and making more progress in literature even if you got a job in tech school for graphic arts. :)

..the safest place in life is NOW,today's the day we're breakin out'-ml
NeverTakeUsAlive
You can build a life and have it broken down
You can chose a path and get turned around
As for me, 've lost friends lost lovers
But I still got my soul
My Life is My inspiration,:)

DropC
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby DropC » 18 Nov 2009 06:37

I wonder what the employment percentage for graphic artists is?

*KnockKnock*
Who's there?
Max.
Max? Max who?
I lost the game.

Julie
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Julie » 18 Nov 2009 09:41

Point blank….NEVER let anyone tell you what you should do with your career. Pick and strive for something that makes you happy, and something you love doing. Will it come right away??? Maybe or maybe not, but don’t let someone pull you into a career only to make money. Do what you need to do to make financial ends meet (work 2 jobs, find a way to pay the bills), and always work and strive to do what you love doing. There’s always a way if your willing to put the work and will into it. If you love music and the industry, look into it. Do some research online, see if you can volunteer somewhere, visit a college with a degree in the music/arts/sports management and talk to current students about the degree, help out an up and coming band with their street team, most cities have smaller/local labels see if you can help them out on the side, a local stage venue…maybe you can see if they need help (everyone loves free work….you’d be surprised).

Make a list of things you're interested in, and see if you can shadow a professional for a morning or day. You'd be surprised how much you might learn about those careers.

I couldn't agree with people more. You can get a job that pays the bills, but if you're not happy it will pull you down. Taking some time the first couple years of school, learn more about you and learn about what you like doing best. If you need to change schools/majors then do it. I went in to school for Speech Communication and public relations, only because I loved music/planning charity events in high school so a friend suggested that major (I had no idea what I wanted to do, and a counselor told me I had no future in the music industry, and I stupidly listened to her at the age of 17). I hated SC and PR by the 2nd year, and kept with it only because I didn’t know what to do. I was programming in my off time on campus and loved it thus I kept going. When it got to my senior year I didn't know what to do, so I finally started talking to my art history prof. He suggested combining my love for programming with art and go into museum work. Applied and got into a masters program and luckily I loved it. It took awhile and a lot of switch-ups, but I’m finally happy with what I do in the museum world.

My little sister discovered her love of the music industry earlier this year, and is transferring and going through what she needs do to get herself on the right track in music management. She’s found something she loves and is working her bum off to make it work. I couldn’t be prouder of her. :smile: (I babble and ramble a lot…can you tell?) :laugh:

:rock:

My theory is as such....70 year-olds of today swing dance at weddings, so at 70 we'll be moshing and head banging in walkers to Rage.

DropC
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby DropC » 18 Nov 2009 11:09

Ah, nah, you don't ramble! You just say what you need to to get your point across! Thanks! I don't have too many options with switching up schools though. I'm not very overachieving in academics, and I'm working hard finding a college to get accepted into, and then pay for. =/

*KnockKnock*
Who's there?
Max.
Max? Max who?
I lost the game.

Return to “Random”